Example of Site Layout PlanningArticles > Example of Site Layout Planning
Figure below illustrates the layout of building materials and access roads for the purposes of servicing two hoists for the erection of a low-rise building. Comment on and criticize the present layout in relation to the positioning of both the materials and hoists.
Read Construction Site Layout Planning Elements article.
Criticism of existing site layout:
- Both hoists have separate scaffold staging, causing increased costs.
- Materials are not stockpiled near hoists.
- Entrance to the site is too narrow for truck to pass.
- Stores are located behind the batching plant so obscuring storeman's view and check point is separated from the stores.
- Concrete and mortar mixers are located too far from the hoists.
- Stockpiles are dispersed and hinder unloading.
- Temporary roads are long and narrow.
- Some stores are difficult to reach.
An improved site plan look like this:
Suggested improved layout:
- Both hoists are housed in a common scaffold.
- Batching plants have direct discharge into dumpers.
- The access has been widened near the site entrance.
- The stores are located to give a good view of all materials stockpiles, and are sited near the temporary road.
- Concrete and mortar mixers are located near the hoists.
- The temporary road is shorter and wider.
- A compound is provided to police non-bulk materials.
- Construction Site Layout Planning Elements
- Types of concentric structural braces
- Free Download Portal Method Analyzer
- Artificial intelligence in smart construction design
- 101 How To Plan A Construction Site Soil Investigations Program