This set of slides covers the fundamental concepts of structural dynamics of linear elastic single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) structures. A separate topic covers the analysis of linear elastic multiple-degree-of-freedom (MDOF) systems. A separate topic also addresses inelastic behavior of structures.
Proficiency in earthquake engineering requires a thorough understanding of each of these topics.
• Equations of motion for SDOF structures
• Structural frequency and period of vibration
• Behavior under dynamic load
• Dynamic magnification and resonance
• Effect of damping on behavior
• Linear elastic response spectra
Importance in Relation to ASCE 7-05
• Ground motion maps provide ground accelerations in terms of response spectrum coordinates.
• Equivalent lateral force procedure gives base shear in terms of design spectrum and period of vibration.
• Response spectrum is based on 5% critical damping in system.
• Modal superposition analysis uses design response spectrum as basic ground motion input.