ASCE705W is a spreadsheet program written in MS-Excel for the purpose of wind loading analysis for buildings and structures per the ASCE 7-05 Code. Specifically, wind pressure coefficients and related and required parameters are selected or calculated in order to compute the net design wind pressures.
This program is a workbook consisting of nine (9) worksheets, described as follows:
Read Load Calculation topic for more information about various types of loading.
Program Assumptions and Limitations:
1. Worksheet for "Simplified" analysis is applicable for low-rise buildings meeting the criteria of Section 6.4.1.
2. In the worksheet for Simplified analysis, the design MWFRS wind load is calculated for each direction. The design MWFRS load is assumed to be the total wind load on either the width or the length of the building respectively.
3. Worksheet for "MWFRS (Low-Rise)" is applicable for low-rise buildings as defined in Section 6.2.
4. Worksheets for "MWFRS (Any Ht.)", "Wall C&C", and "Roof C&C" are applicable for buildings with mean roof heights of up to 500 feet.
5. In worksheets for "MWFRS (Any Ht.)", "Wall C&C", and "Roof C&C" the user may opt to utilize user designated steps in height, 'z', in determining the wind pressure distribution.
6. Worksheets for "MWFRS (Any Ht.)", "Stacks & Tanks", and "Open Structures" can handle “rigid” as well as “flexible” buildings and structures. For “rigid” buildings or structures, this program uses the smaller value of either 0.85 or the calculated value from Section 220.127.116.11 of the Code for the gust effect factor, 'G'. For “flexible” buildings or structures, this program calculates the gust effect factor, ‘Gf’, per Section 18.104.22.168 of the Code based on the assumed formula for the fundamental period of vibration from Section 22.214.171.124 of the Code, where the exponent 'x' in the formula T = Ct*h^x is assumed to be 0.75.
7. Worksheets for "Wall C&C" and "Roof C&C" are applicable for flat roof buildings, gable roof buildings with roof angles <= 45 degrees, and monoslope roof buildings with roof angles <= 3 degrees.
8. Worksheet for "Stacks & Tanks" is applicable for cantilevered structures up to 600 feet tall.
9. Worksheet for "Open Structures" is applicable for open structures without roofs up to 500 feet tall. This can be utilized for open process-type structures as well as pipe/utility racks and bridges.
10. This program uses the equations listed in the reference, “Guide to the Use of the Wind Load Provisions of ASCE 7-02” for determining the external wind pressure coefficients, ‘GCp’, used in the Wall C&C and Roof C&C worksheets. (Note: a version of this document applicable to the ASCE 7-05 Code was not available.)
11. This program contains numerous “comment boxes” which contain a wide variety of information including explanations of input or output items, equations used, data tables, etc. (Note: presence of a “comment box” is denoted by a “red triangle” in the upper right-hand corner of a cell. Merely move the mouse pointer to the desired cell to view the contents of that particular "comment box".)